Administrative, Personal Assistant & Secretarial Duties
A Program to teach how to become a valuable, well-trained PA, Secretary and Administrator
Knowledgeable, efficient administrative assistants, PAs and private secretaries are very valuable to their executives and to the enterprise for which they work, so they are in great demand and command good salaries and other benefits - good, well-trained secretaries/PAs/administrators are valued and sought after - no enterprise can get along without one (or more) of them. Their range of duties can be wide, and can vary considerably; this Program provides essential training and knowledge about very many of them, including office management principles, staff matters, accounts and IT. The Program also teaches about supervision of office personnel, and how to prepare for promotion to managerial posts.
(1) For the period 1st April to 30th June 2020, anyone enrolling for this Program will also be enrolled free for a Course on Leadership & Organisation;
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Major Topics Covered in this Diploma Program include:
- The types and roles of the PA/Secretary.
- Personal attributes and skills, work relationships, adapting to change.
- The office environment: layout, design, environmental factors, health and safety concerns
- Furniture and furnishings, equipment and machinery, their functions.
- The world of commerce; public, private, types of enterprises.
- Business letters and their preparation; desktop publishing.
- Communications including memos, emails, forms, reports and other business documents.
- Filing systems, data and information.
- The uses and control of office machines
- Computer systems: data, databases, hardware, software, data security.
- Incoming mail: sorting, opening, distributing; dictation, checking typed and word processed work.
- Outgoing mail, despatching mail, options, postage, posting options and machinery.
- Reception work, visitors, appointments, deliveries.
- Arranging meetings, representing the organisation.
- Meetings: arrangements, notices, agendas, taking minutes, preparing minutes.
- Making travel arrangements; the appointments diary.
- Conferences, managing events, logistics, travel.
- Effective communication: oral, visual, written, electronic.
- Principles of bookkeeping, the ledger, sales documents, petty cash, banking.
- Invoices and receipts, checking and passing bills for payment, issuing cheques, records.
- Wages and remuneration.
- Advertising for and recruiting office personnel: job analysis, job descriptions.
- Interviewing, selection tests, induction, training, supervising, controlling, counselling.
- The functions and principles of management; technical and managerial aspects.
- Setting good examples, attitudes. Preparing for promotion.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period - currently until 30th June 2020.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Business English & Letter Writing Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Communication in Business & Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Professional English (Everyday & Business Use) Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- EXECUTIVE & SECRETARIAL ASSISTANCE (Honours) Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
- Health & Safety in the Workplace Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Office Management & Administration Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Supervisory Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Human Resource & Personnel Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
This Program provides the foundation for a solid, reliable career, as well as being the springboard to many HR, supervisory, managerial, event management and administrative positions - the variety of organisations needing efficient and competent personnel to fill all of these types of post is huge.
Further study at Diploma and Honours Diploma level is available in a range of English, Office, Administrative and HR/Personnel Programs, to increase knowledge, value, confidence, and career advancement.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period - currently until 30th June 2020.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification attesting to valuable, career-based skills, competence and ability. Confidence and ability to undertake higher study.