Business English & Letter Writing
This Program will teach you how to master the art of effective business letter writing! It will give you confidence and ability to communicate in English, and write effective, well-presented letters.
Anybody seeking a career in administration, management, secretarial duties, business, government or the professions needs the ability to write good professional business letters, and to be able to use English effectively to achieve their various objectives, give confidence to clients and colleagues, and to give a professional impression to customers and others. This Program teaches how to understand and to use business terms and expressions, and to write effective business letters on a wide variety of topics. Using many specimens it shows how to create letters with the correct wording, grammar, spelling, tone and layout needed to achieve their objectives, and which give confidence in your ability and professionalism to the recipients of those letters.
(1) For the period 1st April to 30th September 2020, anyone enrolling for this Program will also be enrolled free for a Course on Leadership & Organisation if you provide a personal email address;
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Summary of Major Topics Covered in this Diploma Program include:
- Why business letters are written: their objectives, language, special features, layouts and appearance.
- Sentences and paragraph construction, building up and constructing a professional letter.
- Technical terms used in English - their meanings and application.
- Internal and external communications, vertical and horizontal communications.
- Letters to employees; congratulations, warnings, meetings, memoranda.
- English used in business letters, acceptable abbreviations.
- Increasing vocabulary, improving English and writing style.
- Personal, private and professional letters - similarities and differences in content and preparation.
- Spellings, dictionaries, conjunctions, thesaurus; verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, punctuation.
- Letters concerning recruitment, employment, promotion and work-related matters; advertisements, CVs, transfers, recommendations, memos, letters of appointment and rejection, references.
- Sales letters: first approach letters, responses, follow-up sales letters, customer retention.
- Preparing circulars, sales literature/promotion, order confirmations.
- The five stages leading to a sales transaction, the buying motives of consumers; relevance when writing letters.
- Letters concerning enquiries, quotations, estimates, tenders, orders, acknowledgements, proformas.
- Letters making complaints, letters responding to complaints received; settlements, agreements, continuity.
- Letters dealing with accounts matters: credit notes, invoices, statements, warning letters, credit and trade references; financial terms and expressions.
- Letters to and from central and local government departments, lawyers, educationists, institutions, banks, estate agents, professionals and others.
- Word processing, computers, email.
- References, copies, files, information and data, filing systems.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Administrative, Personal Assistant & Secretarial Duties Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Professional English (Everyday & Business Use) Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- English & Administration (BEA) Baccalaureate 2 years (flexible)
- English & Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Office Management & Administration Diploma 12 months (flexible)
Whether in - or looking to gain - an administrative, communications, secretarial or managerial post, everybody needs to be able to use language correctly and prepare effective business letters and documents; for that reason, this course will help achieve career development, respect and recognition. Consider this scenario: you, in a business role, receive a badly written, badly produced letter - your reaction would probably be to ignore it and to lack respect for the writer of it! So to avoid that happening to YOU and the letters YOU write, the study of this course is very much recommended.
Related and higher courses and studies are available with CIC at many levels and in areas from higher English to secretarial and administration courses, communications and management; and, often to study other degree-level courses at home or abroad, a qualification proving your English ability is needed - which this Diploma Program provides.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.