Retail Management & Customer Relations
Professional training for owners, managers and staff of retail businesses, to ensure success in the modern and fast-moving world of retail commerce, in which customers’ demands and expectations are constantly changing and evolving.
This Program explains about the wide range of activities which must be planned and undertaken by retailers to promote awareness and increase sales of the products in which the business deals, and to satisfy its customers. The Program explains the differences between retail marketing and other types of marketing due to the special components of the retail trade, such as selling finished goods in small quantities to consumers or end users, traditionally from a fixed location; it teaches about retail marketing and how to make use of the common principles of the marketing mix such as product, price, place and promotion; and it includes insightful tuition on store location, layout, design, effective merchandising strategies, consumer psychology and behaviour, product purchases, communications, branding and advertising. It also covers modern e-commerce and e-tailing, and the importance of good, effective customer relations, and uniquely it covers the recruitment, training and supervison of sales personnel to ensure constant customer satisfaction, and to maintain excellent relations with - and ongoing sales to - both existing and potential customers.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Program before 30th May 2022 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership & Organisation; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Module 1 - The Evolution of Modern Retailing
- Products, Product Benefits, Customers, Consumers; Shops, Stores, Showrooms
- Types of Retail Organizations, Intermediaries, Retailers and Wholesalers, Franchising
- The Market and Marketing, Makes and Brands, Merchandise
- The Distribution Chain and Channels
Module 2 - Retail Management & Personnel
- Retail Business Ownership, Sole-Trader Business, Partnerships, Companies
- Organisational Structure, Organisation Charts
- Positions in Stores Operations, Traditional and Delayered Hierarchies
- Duties and Responsibilities of Retail Personnel, Jobs, Positions
Module 3 - Consumer Behaviour & Psychology
- Consumer Behavioural Characteristics, Factors Affecting Consumer Behaviour
- Consumer’s Buying Motives, Consumer Psychology, Psychology and Retailing
- Consumer Research, Market Segmentation, Niche Marketing
- Substitutability, Features and Benefits of Products, Buying Cycle Stages
Module 4 - Location Of Retail Premises
- Types of Retail Premises, Shopping Areas, Shopping Malls Business and Commercial Districts, Malls
- Store Location Decisions, Macro and Micro Factors Affecting Locations
- Retail Site Selection Considerations and Factors
- Competition, Price Strategy, Demographics, Compromises Between Location and Costs
Module 5 - Retail Store Layout & Fittings
- Customer and Traffic Flow, Technology for Monitoring Flows
- Common Stores Floor Layouts, Aisles and Endcaps, Stages in Floor Planning
- Product Mapping, Zone Design, Lighting, Checkout Placement, Customer Service
- Signage, Windows and In-Store Displays, Safety and Security Considerations
Module 6 - Retail Marketing Strategy, Product & Brand Management
- Brand Identity and Branding Image, Retail Marketing,
- The Marketing Mix, The Promotional Mix, Marketing Messages
- SWOT Analysis, Economic Conditions, Strategic Marketing, Dealing With Risks, Contingency Planning
- Increasing Market Share, Market Development, Product Development, Diversification
Module 7 - Finance And Financial Matters
- Mission Statements, Plans and Planning, Forecasting, Budgeting and Budgetary Control
- Cash Flow, Preparing Cash Flow Forecasts, Estimating Sales Volumes
- Credit Sales, Credit Control, Credit Policy, Credit Limits, Types of Discounts and Their Purposes
- Return on Investment (ROI), Sales Turnover, Revenues
Module 8 - Pricing and Pricing Strategies
- Sales Turnover, Price Setting and the Four Basic Rules
- The Products and the Demand For Them, Psychological Attitude of Consumers, Price Sensitivity
- Margin and Markup, Differences Between the Two, Calculations
- Different Pricing Strategies, Choosing Between Pricing Strategies
Module 9 - HR Management in the Retail Sector
- HR Management, Human Relations, Interpersonal Skills, Staff Turnover, Diversity
- Recruitment, Selection, Interviews, Trial Periods, Induction or Orientation, Training Retail Personnel
- Motivation and Encouragement of Employees, Employee Retention, Seasonal Staff
- Sales Demonstrations, Related Sales, Cross-Selling, Ongoing Sales, Customer Loyalty, Loyalty Programs
Module 10 - Customer Service and Consumer Relations
- Policies Covering Interactions With Customers; Developing Excellent Customer Services
- Customer Satisfaction, Measuring Satisfaction, Recognising Buying Motives, Concluding a Transaction
- Customer Support, After Sale Service, Handling Customers’ Complaints
- Customer Service Personnel, Customer Relationship Management, Customer Relationship Life Cycle
Module 11 - E-commerce and E-tailing
- Websites and Webtraffic, What E-Commerce Involves, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Characteristics of Successful E-Tailing, Internet Marketing;
- Website Design, Structure and Navigation Search Engines, Home Pages, Web Browsers
- Social Media and Viral Marketing, Community Building and Social Media, Display Advertising
Module 12 - Retail Marketing Communication
- The Role of Personal Selling, Qualities Needed
- Retail Advertising and Publicity, Media Choices, Sales Promotions, Web-Based Sales Promotions
- Public Relations, Direct Marketing, Email Lists and Messages, Point of Sale and Packaging, Special Offers
- Product Returns, Reasons for Returns, Procedures, Customer Friendly Returns, Sale or Return Terms
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Advertising & Public Relations Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Marketing & Sales Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Retail Management & Administration Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
- Marketing Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Business Administration Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
The Program is ideal for retail, commercial sales, marketing and advertising personnel, managers and business owners who wish to be involved in some way in selling, retailing, marketing and promoting goods and services for sale. It is also helpful for men and women wishing to gain promotion in any of those career areas or related areas. There are many enjoyable, rewarding and interesting career opportunities in the retail and communications business environment, and the skills translate into very many different career areas as well, ensuring that good jobs can confidently be applied for in many areas when they arise.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, the EBA and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.