Mass Media & Communication
Understand who and what comprises the media, how media work and operate, how to analyze, and how best to make effective use and manage the media.
Modern media have powerful influences and effects on all aspects of contemporary lives; mass media and social media have greatly changed the way in which businesses, governments and private individuals communicate with and between one another. Understanding how media work and operate - and how best to make effective use of them - is essential for the success and prosperity of businesses, because rapid and effective communication with prospective and existing customers and clients - nationally and/or internationally - is paramount in overcoming competition. This is a very topical and “modern age” Program, with many important practical applications for people running or working in businesses of all types and sizes.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Program before 31st October 2020 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership & Organisation; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Major Topics Covered in this Diploma Program:
- Media professionals and the “politics” of representation.
- Media stars, personalities and celebrities.
- Dominant practices and forms of reality media: reality, truth, freedom, ethics, responsibilities.
- Media businesses in the digital age.
- Methods and techniques of mass communication.
- Regulation and public policy.
- The impact of social media and global media; global media production.
- Audiences: producing audiences, the range of activities of media professionals.
- Propaganda and manipulation of audiences, media effects and moral panics, from ‘effects’ to influence.
- Identifying audience activity; from ‘effects’ to uses and gratifications, media, context and meaning.
- Researching media audiences, ethics and audience research.
- Branding, identity and consumption.
- Media and power, conceptualisation, ideology; discourse, power in communication, global news.
- Mass society, mass media and social change; theories of mass society, who the “masses” are.
- Making media: writing, still images, web design, moving images, animation, game design, audio production.
- Imagining, planning, telling, imaging, designing, editing, theorising; documentaries.
- The ‘consumer society’, history of consumerism and advertising; cultures of consumerism.
- National, international & global marketing.
- Advertising in the digital age; the future of advertising and marketing.
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Core Study Publication.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Tests and Examinations.
- Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) and Recommended Answers for them.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
- Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Advertising & Public Relations Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Marketing Administration Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
- Marketing Administration (BMA) Baccalaureate 2 years (flexible)
- Communication in Business & Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- English & Administration (BEA) Baccalaureate 2 years (flexible)
This Program prepares CIC Members to take advantage of a wide range of career opportunities - in television, film, radio, print and online production, journalism, media law, sales and marketing, advertising, public relations, communication, campaign or advocacy, policy and research, and fund-raising.
Further studies focusing on the business, marketing, PR aspects of media and communication are offered, through related Diploma Programs or as part of higher multi-subject Programmes.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.