Commercial Practice & Law
A Program for all business people, managers, owners and others who need to understand commerce and the commercial world, the essentials of business law, their legal responsibilities, and how to ensure that contracts, sales and commercial dealings are correctly conducted.
This interesting Program teaches about many aspects of commerce and elements of commercial law which all business and commercial people, and anybody with organisational responsibilities, need to understand. It is essential that business people understand laws relating to commercial activity, especially the law of contract and the law of tort, as failure to comply with the law can lead to civil or criminal actions, fines, loss of business or personal possessions, and imprisonment. This Program covers vital topics on legal transactions, ethical conduct and the best way to safely conduct the practice of business.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Program before 30th May 2022 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership & Organisation; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Module 1 - Commerce in the Modern World
- Economic systems and conditions, commerce, business, law, statute, commercial law, jurisdiction
- Products, goods, services, utilities, intellectual property, trade, money and banking
- Transport, methods and features, auxiliary services, hospitality and accommodation
- Insurance, risks and losses, communication, printing, electronic communication
Module 2 - Nature and Classification of Law
- Description of a “legal system”, sources of law, laws and legal systems in different countries
- Public, constitutional and criminal law, civil or private law, prosecutions and the burden of proof
- Commercial or business law, law of contract, formation of contracts, unwritten, written, void, voidable
- Elements of contracts, offer, acceptance, legal consequences, consideration, terms and conditions
Module 3 - Credit Transactions and Business Documents
- Transactions, credit, credit sales and purchases, cash flow and liquidity, working capital
- Types of credit, accounts, periods of credit, leasing, contract hire/rental, hire purchase, risks with credit
- Credit management, assessing applications, references, credit limits, credit control policy, customers
- Quotations, proformas, estimates, tenders, orders, invoices, receipts, statements of account, records
Module 4 - Legal Business Units and Ownership
- Sole trader businesses, registration and licencing, legal status, danger of unlimited liability
- Partnership firms, features, limited liability partnerships, partners, agreements, registration
- Companies, incorporation, shares, shareholders, limited liability, features, directors, ownership
- Memorandum of association, articles of association, companies limited by guarantee, guarantors
Module 5 - Financing of Companies and Law Relating to Company Directors
- Capital, revenue, expenditure, assets, liabilities, debtors, creditors, share capital, share certificates
- Acquisitions of shares, transfer of shares, shareholders’ agreements, new shares issues
- Other methods of financing businesses, loans, lines of credit, bank overdraft, mortgages, debentures
- Company directors, registered office, annual returns, chairman, company secretary, legal duties, AGMs
Module 6 - Law of Tort Relating to Physical Products
- An “injury” in law, tort as a civil wrong, intentional, negligence and strict liability torts, the duty of care
- Products liability, privity of contract, tortious misrepresentation, fraud, breach of warranty, defects
- Burden of proof, the evidence, responsible parties, legal obligation, defences to products liability
- Consumer protection law, recovery for losses, negligence, harm, unsafe products, misconduct
Module 7 - Tort Law Relating to Services
- What services involve, types of services provided, service providers, tradesmen and professionals
- Defective services, duty of care by service providers, damages, claims for negligence and damages
- Direct, indirect and consequential loss, economic loss, non-visible financial loss, damage suffered
- Negligence in duty of care, negligent statements or misstatements, negligence by professionals
Module 8 - The Law of Agency
- Agency’s role in business, how agency relationships arise, principal and agents, fiduciary relationship
- Types of agents, brokers, special agents, employees, independent contractors, bailees
- Creation of agency relationship, rights of an agent, duties of agents and principals to each other
- Termination of agency on agreement, lapse of time, in specified events, vicarious liability, bailments
Module 9 - Employment or Labour Law
- Employee responsibilities to employers, occupational health & safety, risk assessments
- Employer’s obligations/duties to an employee, employer’s duty of care, employer’s liabilities in tort
- Employment contracts, contents, statute, custom, rules, agreements, trial periods, breaches of contract
- Statutory legislation, discrimination, equal opportunities, bullying, redundancy, legal actions
Module 10 - Principles and Law of Insurance
- Loss and losses, features of risks, insurance premiums, insurers and insurance cover, indemnity
- Insurance and law, proposals, insurance contracts, sum insured, utmost good faith, full disclosure
- Policy documents, proximate cause, underinsurance, subrogation, cover notes, certificates of insurance
- Types of insurance, compulsory, compensation, employers’ liability, commercial, office, computer
Module 11 - Tort Liability for Premises
- Workplaces, property, occupiers, visitors, entrants, independent contractors, public liability insurance
- Premises liability, duty of care to lawful visitors, warning signs, features necessary to reduce liability
- Trespassers, easements, private and public nuisance, children, licensees, invitees, accidents
- Defences of premises liability, consent of the visitor, contributory negligence, exclusion of liability
Module 12 - Intellectual Property Protection
- Intellectual property, value, protection, rights, licencing agreements, franchising, international law
- Copyright, plagiarism, fraud, registration of copyrights, patents and trademarks, marks, signs, logos
- Industrial designs, geographical appellations, qualities, reputation and characteristics
- Infringement of IP rights, passing off, falsehood, breach of confidence, lawyers, computer data
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
This Program is suitable for people seeking general and managerial posts in business, for men and women who wish to manage their own businesses effectively and correctly, and for those who wish to know the principles of commercial law and how to successfully and carefully ensure that business transactions, sales and trade are responsibly conducted. Knowing the principles of commerce and commercial law, especially regarding liability, tort and contracts, will make you an invaluable asset to your organisation.
The variety of further and related studies available is huge, covering all elements of trade (domestic and overseas), business and commerce, as well as the far-ranging field of law. For a general expansion of related knowledge the CIC Honours Diplomas with an element of business are recommended, as are the Baccalaureate and/or EBA programmes are recommended; and other studies including the Mastery of Management Graduate Diploma in Law are offered too.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
A valuable qualification for professional development and career success showing your substantial competence, knowledge, commercial and legal understanding.