Expert study for knowledge and expertise in making capital investment decisions, financing a business, and managing working capital
A Program which provides a comprehensive introduction to the core elements of financial management and its role in business success. This Program covers the principles and importance of efficient financial management, and how financial information can be used to improve the quality of management decision-making. It deals with planning, investment decisions, project analysis, managing risk, types and sources of finance and financial markets. It covers the vitally important topic of the management of working capital, of ensuring liquidity and business survival. Key terms are highlighted for rapid understanding of the main techniques and concepts.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Program before 30th May 2022 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership & Organisation; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Module 1 - The role of business finance
Businesses finance, investment and business success or failure
Companies, directors, corporate governance, CSR
Business objectives, in practice and in reality
The role of the financial manager
Module 2 - Capital investment decisions - an introduction
- The nature of investment decisions
- Importance of making correct decisions and choosing from opportunities
- Practical matters: costs, taxation, flows, interest
- Investment appraisal in practice, factors influencing decisions
Module 3 - Methods of Investment Appraisal
- Return on capital employed: performance measurement, profits, wealth
- Accounting Rate of Return (ARR), Payback Period (PP), Net Present Value (NPV), Internal rates of return (IRR)
- Risk, inflation and the time-value of money
- Discount rates and the cost of capital
Module 4 - Managing investment projects
- Determining investment funds available
- Identifying and evaluating profitable project opportunities
- Approving project proposals
- Monitoring and controlling investment projects
Module 5 - Financing a business: internal sources of finance
- Source of finance and financial policy
- Internal sources of long-term finance
- Internal sources of short-term finance
- Generating cash
Module 6 - Granting credit
- External sources of long-term finance
- External sources of short-term finance
- Forms and types of borrowing
- Long-term versus short-term borrowing considerations
Module 7 - The role of the stock exchange
- Shares and rights issues
- Offering shares and setting a price
- Disadvantages of listing
- Sources of finance for small businesses
Module 8 - Working capital
- Nature and purpose of working capital
- Elements of working capital
- The working capital cycle
- The scale and composition of working capital
Module 9 - Managing working capital (I): stocks and cash
- Managing inventories, recording and reordering systems
- Stock management models, economic order quantity (EOQ)
- Materials requirement planning (MRP) and just-in-time (JIT) stock management
- Cash, cash budgets, the operating cash cycle, overdrafts
Module 10 - Managing working capital (II): debtors and creditors
- Managing debtors (receivables); the 5 c’s of which customers should receive credit
- Length of credit period; competition, bargaining power, risk, strategy
- Discounts, factoring, discounting, collection policies, debtor schedules
- Controlling trade creditors (payables), average settlement period
Module 11 - Dividends, dividend policies, dividend decisions
- Dividends and business finance
- Dividend payments: cum and ex dividend, alternatives
- Dividend policy strategies, policies in practice
- Dividend expectations and effects on the action of managerial decisions
Module 12 - Gearing
- Meaning, measurements and significance of gearing
- Debt/equity and capital gearing ratios
- Risks associated with gearing decisions
- Traditional and contemporary approaches to gearing
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Core Study Publication.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Tests and Examinations.
- Practice Questions, Tests and Activities (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) and Recommended Answers for them.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option via email is available instead of an Exam for the 'Covid-19' (Corona) virus period.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Accounting & Finance in Business & Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Business Accounting & Finance Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
- Business Finance & Investment Mastery of Management Graduate Diploma One year (flexible)
- Financial Administration (BFA) Baccalaureate 2 years (flexible)
- Finance & Investment Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
The Program will benefit anybody who requires knowledge and ability in one or more of the core financial management activities, whether seeking a worthwhile career in the field, or seeking promotion and advancement in finance or accounting areas, or in wider management and administration fields. The Program will benefit men and women already employed in finance and accounting fields (or hoping to enter it) to gain career success and further advancement, and other professionals, entrepreneurs, business owners and managers who need an expert and practical working knowledge of the principles of financial management.
The Program will also provide access to higher studies in finance, accounting, business and management, and similar related subjects.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.