Banking & Bank Operations
This Program is a comprehensive introduction to how banks work. It provides a thorough understanding of all types of banking from retail to investment banking, and covers global and central banking. It gives understanding of the wide variety of activities undertaken and services provided by banks, how they operate and are regulated, and explains why banks are so important and how their activities impact on modern life, people, business, government and the economy.
(1) For the period 1st April to 30th June 2020, anyone enrolling for this Program will also be enrolled free for a Course on Leadership & Organisation;
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
- An explanation what banking actually is and a brief history of banking.
- The relationship of banks with households, businesses and government and the economy.
- An overview of the different aspects and types of banking.
- Retail banking: deposits, lending to people and businesses.
- Risk assessment checklist for lending and loans.
- Retail banks: payments and transferring money, clearing systems, other retail bank services.
- Corporate banking: lending, credit and credit analysis, project finance, bankers acceptances.
- Corporate banking: interest rates and LIBOR; other corporate banking activities and services.
- Corporate banking: international trade, bills of exchange,
- How a bank operates: capital, liquidity and liquidity ratios, reserves, clearing systems, stockbroking.
- Asset management and liability management, loan policy, the return on capital ratio, bank income.
- Bank financial statements: balance sheets, income statements, bank performance ratios.
- Investment banking: services provided to companies and governments.
- Global investment banks, involvement in mergers, acquisitions and restructuring.
- Investment banking and market trading, brokers, equities, derivatives.
- Investment banking: investment advice, funds, investment vehicles.
- Mutuals and finance houses; credit unions, deposit-taking institutions, factoring, leasing, insurance.
- International banking: banking in the UK, Europe, the Americas.
- International banking: banking in Asia, Australasia, Middle East, Africa.
- Debt markets: treasury bills, government and corporate bonds, currency; prices, returns and yields.
- Futures markets, Swaps markets, Options markets; derivatives, speculators.
- Foreign Exchange markets and trading.
- Central banking, functions of central banks, BASEL, insurance, compliance, disclosure.
- Monetary policy, supply, demand, discount rates, the economy, quantitative easing.
- Money laundering.
- The regulation of banks: bank supervision and inspection.
- The regulation of banks: what is regulated and why, regulation systems.
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Core Study Publication and an additional professionally produced and written publication ‘Introduction to Credit Management’ publication.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Tests and Examinations.
- ‘Past Papers/Questions’.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period - currently until 30th June 2020.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Accounting & Finance in Business & Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Money, Banking & Financial Systems Mastery of Management Graduate Diploma One year (flexible)
- Finance & Investment Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Banking, Finance and Management Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
The Program is ideal for anyone who wants to understand the banking industry, gain a good knowledge of modern banking, and move ahead with a career in banking and the wide and varied positions which can be found in the banking industry. Whether this Program is studied for a specific career in banking, or to open up or secure a career in the banking and finance industry, it will provide knowledge needed for success and advancement.
The Program also provides access to further and higher studies in banking and finance, and possible exemptions from other professional courses and qualifications in accounting, at many levels and in related fields of study.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period - currently until 30th June 2020.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.