Purchasing & Resourcing Management
This Program is specially designed to teach the skills and knowledge needed to become well-trained and successful purchasing and resourcing professional and manager.
Whether an enterprise is involved in manufacturing, distribution or providing a service, the function of purchasing or 'buying' is a job for trained professionals. Proficient purchasing can greatly increase the efficiency, competitiveness and profitability of a business; but unwise buying can seriously damage its operations, reputation and profits. This very practical Program covers the responsibilities and duties of professional buyers, and looks at the importance of policy, quality, supplier relationships and negotiations, and of personnel and planning issues in purchasing management.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Program before 30th May 2022 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership & Organisation; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Module 1 - Introduction to Purchasing and Resourcing Management
- Modern purchasing as a professional managerial activity, objectives, purchasing and logistics
- Strategic purchasing, purchasing in the management hierarchy, products, goods and services
- Categories of organizational buyers, channels of distribution, wholesale and retail businesses
- Principles of management, functional and human aspects, policies, standards and performance
Module 2 - Purchasing Objectives and Strategy
- Business planning, purchasing’s general and specific objectives, setting purchasing strategy
- Purchasing strategies, manufacturing for stock, to order strategy, just-in-time (JIT), forward buying
- Total quality management and purchasing, partnership sourcing, the “Pareto Principle” and “80-20 Rule”
- Customer satisfaction levels and costs, sellers and buyers markets, evaluation of purchasing strategy
Module 3 - Purchasing Policy: Formulation, Implementation and Control
- Formulating purchasing policy, market profiles, production cycle times, forecasting demand
- Economic order quantities, influences on purchase decisions, quality approval of supplies, budgets
- Statistical and ABC classifications of stocks, risk analysis, monitoring and control of key costs
- Expertise needs in purchasing, technology, changes in purchasing policy, organisational development
Module 4 - Purchasing Organisation Structure, Responsibilities, Job Structures
- Purchasing organisation, organisational structures, centralisation and decentralisation
- Organisational strengths and weaknesses, SWOT analysis, the purchasing function’s status
- Organisation of purchasing personnel, job structures, specifications, rotation, analysis, changes
- Teamwork in purchasing, team roles, multi-skilled logistics roles, co-ordination with other functions
Module 5 - Control Systems, Procedures and Records
- Purchasing control systems, implementation, control and feedback cycles
- The basic purchasing process, notification, requisition, quotations, supplier selection, orders
- Purchasing documentation, structure of a purchasing manual, policies and processes
- Selection of preferred suppliers, supplier appraisal and research, provisioning, priorities
Module 6 - Information Technology in Purchasing and Supply
- Disadvantages of manual systems, better performance through technology, computer systems
- Computerisation of systems, applications, databases, Gannt, network analysis and flow charts
- Hardware, software, information and processing needs, computerised logistics applications
- Impacts of technology on purchasing and suppliers, e-procurement, e-marketplaces
Module 7 - The Human Resource in the Supply Chain
- Management of the human resource, centralised and devolved HR, relationships with others
- Manpower planning, effective recruitment, selection, interviewing candidates, tests and evaluation
- Training personnel, assessing development needs, training methods, development processes
- Performance appraisal and management, personnel investment processes, project-based development
Module 8 - Management Style, Motivation and Control
- Management attitudes, scientific management, management and motivational theories
- Appraisal of managerial styles, task-oriented, relationships-oriented, situational managerial style
- Managerial styles in purchasing, a motivational audit, conflict resolution, reasons conflicts arise
- Employee grievances and disputes, disciplinary procedure, pay structures, job evaluation
Module 9 - Sourcing Processes and Supplier Relationships
- Principles of sourcing, attributes of good suppliers, making sourcing decisions, price-quality strategy
- Production, make or buy decisions, materials management and requirements planning (MRP)
- Pricing considerations, analysis and structures, discounts, contracts, total cost of acquisition (TCA)
- Supplier relationships, traditional and contemporary, JIT manufacture, partnership sourcing
Module 10 - Quality Management in the Purchasing Function
- Quality management in purchasing, definition of quality, quality policy in purchasing
- Quality control, assurance and approval, specification of quality standards, performance standards
- Total quality management, TQM processes and concepts, barriers to quality competitiveness
- Quality implementation costs, quality costs versus customer satisfaction priorities, quality auditing
Module 11 - Negotiating and Bargaining in the Supply Chain
- Definition and aims of negotiation, negotiators, when negotiation is needed, resolving disagreement
- Situations which require negotiation, the scope, stages and conduct of a negotiation
- Strategy and tactics, poor and good negotiation, body language signals, win-win, effective bargaining
- Personal effectiveness in negotiations, authority, ethics and negotiation, professional practice
Module 12 - Further Purchasing Techniques and Practices
- Support tools in purchasing, logistics database support, data access, JIT systems, team-work
- Supplier tendering procedures, competitive tendering policy, tender documentation, evaluation
- Supplier performance databases, e-commerce in purchasing, buying power, drafting specifications
- Benchmarking, processes, performance drivers, benefits, quantitative and qualitative measuring
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
This Program provides an excellent foundation for a successful career in purchasing, resourcing, buying, quality management and related career areas. Whether entering the purchasing and supply field for the first time, looking for promotion, or needing to achieve managerial skills, this Program is designed to provide all of the knowledge and understanding needed to achieve these goals.
Further studies are available in related areas, and which build upon the essentials of a thorough knowledge of this increasingly important subject.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.