Human Resource & Personnel Management
Study to become an efficient, knowledgeable, effective HR/Personnel officer, manager and/or practitioner.
This Program introduces, describes and explains the roles, activities and responsibilities of the human resource and personnel management function, its staff, officers and managers. It deals with the many different areas which come under the remit of HR/personnel management, and provides training on the important duties that HR/personnel management managers and staff must perform (including in industrial relations). The importance of modern, effective, trained HR/personnel managers, employees and departments has never been more important because they have the potential to positively effect the operations of an enterprise, avoid poor performance or low output by the workforce, reduce industrial action, and create a work environment which benefits both employees and the organization for which they work.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Program before 30th October 2021 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership & Organisation; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the "Covid-19" (Corona) virus pandemic, Members may opt to take an Assignment (home-based course work) instead of an Examination to complete the Program.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Major Topics Covered in this Diploma Program include:
Module 1 - HR/Personnel Policy, Strategy and Management
- HR/personnel managers and specialists; technical and human or relationships aspects.
- The HR/personnel department, its sections, structure, functions, activities, staff and roles.
- HR/personnel policy and strategy, coordinating with managers and employees.
- Organizational culture, the resources of an organization.
Module 2 - Functions of Management, Organization and Structure
- The implementation of HR/personnel department policies - putting them in to practice.
- Management: planning, organising, coordinating, motivating, controlling.
- Forecasting, budgets and budgetary control.
- Organisational structures, charts, spans of control, organisation and job structures.
Module 3 - Communication in Organizations
- The importance and benefits of effective internal communication, dangers of poor information flow.
- Internal and external communication, vertical and horizontal communication.
- Principles of effective communication, the HR role in good communications.
- Oral and written communication, channels of communication.
Module 4 - Manpower Planning, Job Analysis and Job Descriptions, Work Groups
- The expansion of organizations, the need for a professional HR/personnel manager, HR or manpower planning.
- Scientific management, O & M studies and work studies, aiming for efficiency.
- Job analysis, job descriptions, job structure and job design, employee specifications.
- Workgroups, team development, teams and team-building.
Module 5 - Recruitment and Selection of Personnel
- The importance of effective recruitment, recruitment strategy and policy.
- Internal and external recruitment, benefits and dangers.
- Advertising new positions and posts, employment application forms.
- Selection, handling applications, conducting interviews, testing, appointment.
Module 6 - Induction, Training and Employee Development
- Why planned, well organised induction procedures are so important
- Induction aims and activities, environment induction, job induction.
- Introducing new employees to their work groups, trial or probationary period.
- Training and employee development, methods of training, employee assessments.
Module 7 - Health and Safety, Security and Welfare
- Safety in the workplace, accident prevention, HR responsibilities; risk assessment.
- Making people safe, making the job safe, making the work environment safe, training.
- Fire prevention and firefighting, medical facilities, health protection.
- Employee security, security personnel, staff welfare, welfare officers.
Module 8 - Motivation, Employee Counselling, Resignations and Retirement
- Motivational theories, scientific management, task needs and relationships needs
- Management styles, managerial theories.
- The manager/employee relationship, attitudes, supervisory techniques, delegation of responsibility.
- Employee counselling, resignations and retirements; how to avoid unwanted resignations.
Module 9 - Industrial Relations (1)
- Trade unions, aims and activities, advantages and disadvantages, shop stewards, staff associations.
- Industrial action, collective bargaining and joint consultation.
- Negotiating with trade unions and staff associations - the HR role.
- Industrial tribunals, redundancy, dismissals, discipline.
Module 10 - Industrial Relations (2)
- Job evaluation, work study, job ranking and grading and rating.
- Valuing jobs, common and average wage indexes.
- Employee grievances, causes of grievances, grievance procedures.
- Promotion policy, role in motivation.
Module 11 - Remuneration and Benefits
- Wages, salaries, pay structure, remuneration policy, systems of remuneration.
- Allowances, standard employee benefits, fringe benefits, flexible working time.
- Constructing a benefits package: objectives and policy considerations.
- Equal opportunities, discrimination, equal opportunity policies.
Module 12 - Personnel Records and Statistics
- HR/personnel records, format and contents.
- Statistical data, labour turnover, stability index.
- Computers and IT in the HR/personnel department, data protection.
- Learning organizations.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination** sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination. **An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Training Management & Employee Development Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Human Resource Administration Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
- Management of Human Resources Mastery of Management Graduate Diploma One year (flexible)
- Human Resource Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Health & Safety in the Workplace Diploma 12 months (flexible)
Human Resource (HR) and personnel management covers a wide and varied range of activities, affecting all aspects of an organisation and of course all of its personnel; men and women who are trained and knowledgeable in these matters will always be in demand and find employment and good positions in organisations. Additionally, anybody looking for promotion, or who has responsibility for work colleagues, or who is a manager of any kind, needs to have effective knowledge of how to handle personnel proficiently - and this Program provides that too.
This Program is also the pathway to higher and specialised or related studies in the HR/personnel field or in management generally.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination** (based entirely upon the contents of the Study Materials provided to you in your Program Fee). Full and clear details about preparing for and sitting the Exam are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, when you enrol. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades - and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
**An Assignment Option is available instead of an Exam for the ‘Covid-19’ (Corona) virus period.
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.