Tourism & Travel Management
This Program is designed to create professionals trained in tourism and travel organisation and management.
The tourism industry and its earnings are very important to many countries worldwide, and tourism is a major force in the economy of the world - it has become an activity of global importance and significance. However, it has also become an industry sector which, unless it is well managed and controlled, can have harmful effects on the cultures and environments of “host” countries. To benefit from tourism its development must be planned, controlled and “sold” using modern marketing methods, the tourism and travel markets and their products, and the needs and expectations of customers - must be understood and satisfied. This Program covers all these matters and more.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
Major Topics Covered in this Diploma Program include:
- Definitions of tourism, the wide range of motivations for travel.
- The types of visitors and travellers, types of tour organisations.
- The tourism industry: its structure, components and organisation; tourism products and services.
- Tourist destinations, attractions, amenities and facilities; accessibility to tourism destinations.
- The national and international importance of tourism, its effects on the balance of trade.
- Economic and social consequences of tourism, employment opportunities, effects on culture.
- Income received from tourism, the income multiplier, invisible exports.
- Factors to consider in developing tourism.
- Investment in tourism, sources of finance - financial and other factors.
- Reasons for government involvement in tourism development, and potential government actions: tax and customs duties policies.
- Measurement of tourism, tourism statistics, SWOT analysis and information provided.
- More on development - the tourism framework: people, markets, destinations, routes.
- The tourism and resorts life cycle; infrastructure and superstructure.
- Structure and organisation of the tourism industry.
- Channels of distribution for products, carriers, amenity and attraction providers, accommodation establishments.
- Wholesalers and retailers of tourism products.
- Tourism and travel markets: leisure and activity holidays, business travel.
- Types of tours, sightseeing, cruising and cultural tours.
- VFR travel, cultural, educational, health travel - the increasing range available.
- Inclusive and IT tours.
- Tourism operators: mass market, specialist, domestic, others; economics of tour operations, supplements and surcharges.
- Transport, carriers: air, rail, road, sea, inland.
- Accommodation and catering; the range, types and standards of accommodation.
- Rating and categorisation of hotels and other accommodation units.
- Consumer demands and changes in tastes, seasonality, pricing strategies and other issues.
- State promotion of tourism, national, regional and local tourist organisations.
- The roles of tour operators/travel agents and tourist information offices.
- Reservations systems, booking forms, itineraries, fares, tickets. Inclusive and package tours.
- Public and private tourism marketing; communications, the promotional mix, market research, sales planning and forecasting.
- Advertising and sales promotions campaigns, special offers and merchandising, displays.
- Tour brochures: types, sizes, importance, design and layout.
- Websites: internet marketing, comparison websites, in-line bookings and payments.
- Social media and viral marketing, marketing opportunities on-line.
- A tourism and travel promotional campaign, from planning and review, through to strategy, marketing, advertising, literature, information, website and other promotions, media relations.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE MODEST CIC FEE
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Study & Training Publications.
- A detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Self-Assessment Tests, Training Tests and Examinations.
- Self-Assessment Tests and Recommended Answers for them, and a Progress Chart.
- Two Progress/Training Tests (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’) with an optional Tutorial Support Service.
- The Final Examination sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examination will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination.
- The prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of your Study & Training and on passing the Final Examination.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Hotel Operations & Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Hospitality Management Honours (Higher) Diploma 21 months (flexible)
- Hospitality & Events Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Events Management: for Tourism, Business, Sport Mastery of Management Graduate Diploma One year (flexible)
This Program provides important knowledge and a worthwhile qualification for career development and success in a wide range of tourism and travel related positions, for all ranges of employees, staff, business owners and managers. This Program produces trained persons who are ready to be employed to work in tourism, to market and sell tourism and travel products, and to make decisions which can affect travel numbers and the volumes of tourists who visit a country. By making a career in am industry - such as tourism and travel - and by undertaking training such as is provided in this Program, you will become a true professional in the field (with a CIC Diploma to prove it!) and so the description is a very accurate one, which you will be proud of.
Further study at higher levels and in related subjects is offered by CIC, in this popular and growing field. There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The Study Period is one year (12 months) but this is flexible; the Diploma can be completed in a shorter period, or you can take longer if necessary.READ MORE »
To gain your Diploma you need to sit and pass an Examination/Assessment. Full and clear details about this are provided to you, including in your Study & Training Guide, after you have enrolled. The clear information explains when, where and how your Examination/Assessment will be arranged - it is a simple and straightforward process, which hundreds of thousands of other Members have successfully gone through. If you study well, and follow the advice in the CIC Study & Training Guide, then you should be able to achieve high marks and good grades, and obtain your prestigious International Diploma!
(See the College Prospectus, or the “Frequently Asked Questions” section on the “Contact Us” page of this website, if you would like more information.)
An international accredited qualification for professional development and career success showing you have substantial skills, competence and knowledge.