- The scope and definition of cost accounting. Terminology; classification, overheads, total cost.
- Cost behaviour; distinguishing differences, classes, prediction, analysis.
- Accounting for labour costs and for material costs; pricing methods, stock valuation, just-in-time.
- Absorption costing; cost units and centres; activity based costing; overheads, appraisal.
- Marginal costing systems; revenue statements, contribution, breakeven analysis.
- Costing short-term decision making. Planning, budgeting; control, zero-based, activity-based.
- Standard costing and variance analysis, calculation, investigation, appraisal.
- Capital investment appraisal; techniques, discounted cash flows, risk and uncertainty.