Honours (Higher) Diploma on
Management & Workplace Safety
This is an ideal programme for current mangers, supervisors, business owners and employees with an HR and/or Health & Safety role - and anybody wishing to become one of the foregoing. Focusing on becoming an excellent manager, it also covers the vital area of health and safety, and various legal obligations of organisations to employees, staff and others.
This Programme explains about modern management and administration - how to plan, coordinate, control, motivate and lead - and how to understand and control the practical, theoretical and legal aspects of health and safety management. It explains the functions, roles and responsibilities of managers and administrators, and about management and administration activities - and how to be a competent, well-informed and pro-active manger with a good understanding of legal and health & safety matters. The possession of an Honours Group Diploma demonstrates knowledge and ability and indicates that the holder has the competence, understanding and potential to become a successful senior manager, administrator or executive.
(1) Anybody enrolling for this Programme before 31st December 2023 will also be enrolled FREE for a Course on Leadership /Management; the only requirement is that you provide your personal email address to the College on enrolment.
(2) During the “Covid-19” (Corona) virus pandemic and in lock-down periods, affected Members may be allowed to take Assignments (home-based course work) instead of or in addition to sitting Examinations to complete the Programme; details can be provided on request after enrolment onto the Programme.
- Summary of major topics
- What is included
- Related courses
- Study & Career development
The Programme comprises four mandatory/compulsory ‘courses’:-
- Workplace Management & Administration
- Health & Safety in the Workplace
- Commercial Practice & Law*
- Advanced Management & Administration Theory & Practice
(*includes principles of employee and labour law)
Summarised details of each course comprising the Honours Diploma:
Workplace Management & Administration
- The various functions of the office in the workplace.
- The duties and responsibilities of workplace managers and administrators.
- The wide and varied range of activities of office and workplace managers.
- Organisational structures, hierarchies, spans of control, organisation charts.
- The technical and the human aspects of management.
- Business and company objectives and policies.
- Office locations, centralised and decentralised offices.
- The layout, design and environmental features of workplaces: heating/cooling, lighting, ventilation, cloakrooms; furniture, furnishings, decor.
- Health and safety responsibilities, accident prevention, noise reduction, the work environment.
- Managing and supervising office machines and equipment, computer systems, networks, databases.
- Managing and maintaining security and control.
- Electronic communications, email, word processing, desk top publishing, manual and computerised filing systems.
- Personnel: recruiting staff and employees; how and why job analysis and preparing employee specifications is undertaken; interviewing applicants.
- Inducting and training new employees; motivating, supervising, controlling, grading, ranking, remunerating.
- Counselling for workplace employees and staff.
- Trade unions; aims, benefits, issues, company relations and the managers role.
- O & M studies, efficiency and systems; employee development, promotion.
- Communication: preparation, telecommunications, incoming and outgoing mail.
- Meetings, agendas, minutes, conferences. The reception, receptionists.
- Business forms, documents, design, codes; business letters, memoranda, reports: features.
- Financial matters, principles of accounting: cashiering, bank accounts, budgets, budgetary control.
- Computerisation: needs analysis, specification; data security.
Health & Safety in the Workplace
- Managing workplace health & safety; legal matters, responsibilities; hazards, risk assessment, policy.
- Workplace safety, buildings, environs, layout, housekeeping, equipment, accident prevention, trip hazards.
- Fire safety, ignition sources, fuel, oxygen, fire risk assessment, eliminating hazards, precautions, extinguishers.
- Working at height, ladders, mobile platforms, roof work, building & construction sites, traffic, waste, surfaces.
- Equipment, training, hazards, safety guards, controls, position, space, maintenance, tools, gas, pressure.
- Transport, route planning, vehicles, aisles, materials handling, equipment, systems, training, operators.
- Electricity, current, circuits, conductors, insulators, power, hazards; noise, vibrations, risks, control.
- Hazardous & explosive substances, storage, radiation, exposure, machines, occupational skin disease.
- Catering, kitchens, food preparation, cleaning, hygiene, injuries, dermatitis, premises, H & S officers.
- Psychological health, stress, job redesign, counselling, HR policy, harassment, bullying, equal opportunity.
- Educational establishments, hazards, injuries, grounds, supervisors, staff, fire, medical facilities, stairs.
- Health protection, first aid, accident control, liability insurance, VDUs, protective equipment (PPE), training.
Commercial Practice & Law
- Modern commerce: money, banking, transport, insurance; products, trade, law, economics.
- Constitutional, customary, common, statute and case law.
- Criminal, civil, business law, law of contract.
- Credit, credit transactions and management, risks; cash flow and liquidity, documents used in business.
- Legal business units; ownership: sole-owners, partnerships, limited companies; incorporation.
- Financing companies; capital, shares, shareholders.
- Legal duties: directors, company secretary.
- Law of tort for physical products; duty of care, negligence, fraud, defective goods, consumer protection.
- Law of tort for services; damages, losses, defective services, negligence, victims, unprofessionalism.
- Law of agency; employees, contractors, agents; rights and duties of agents and principals, liability.
- Employment law, employer and employee responsibilities, employment contracts, duty of care.
- Occupational health & safety; hazards, risks, risk assessment, employer’s legal liabilities, practical steps.
- Breach of contracts, protection of employees against dismissal, redundancy, discrimination, bullying.
- Law of insurance; contracts, indemnity.
- Tort liability for premises.
- Intellectual property, trademarks, patents
Advanced Management & Administration Theory & Practice
- The evolution of management theory, principles of management: the classical and early theorists; Fayol, Weber, Taylor, Mayo, scientific management, authority, discipline, modern developments.
- Organisational theory: objectives, categories, ownership, environmental factors and interaction.
- Open and closed systems theory.
- Coordination, cooperation, structure, control.
- Communication and communication theories and channels.
- Organisational structures, planning, growth and development, organization charts, systems diagrams.
- Duties and responsibilities of executives, delegation, responsibility.
- Mission, vision, values, MBWA.
- Motivational theory: human relations, social psychology; self-realisation, motivation-hygiene, expectancy theory.
- The theories of Argyis, Maslow, McGregor, Likert, Herzberg, Vroom, Handy; intrinsic and extrinsic factors.
- Leadership theory: traits, style, contingency; theorists.
- Building and developing workgroups, group behaviour, norms, cohesiveness.
- Managing change, creating and managing culture; Moss Kanter, learning organizations and entrepreneurship.
- Strategic management; the theories of Fayol, Chandler, Andrews, Ansoff, BCG, Porter, SWOT.
- Environmental and competitive barriers to entry, industrial competitiveness.
- Corporate objectives, policies, business ethics, social responsibilities.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE FEE FOR THIS HONOURS GROUP DIPLOMA PROGRAMME
Your CIC Fee includes:-
- Your enrolment/registration with Cambridge International College, and your own high-quality, professionally produced and illustrated comprehensive International CIC Core Study Publications for each of the four (4) ‘courses’ of study.
- CIC’s detailed, professional ‘Study & Training Guide’ with full instructions on how to study to achieve success and gain top results. The Guide includes detailed advice on how to answer Tests and Examinations.
- Training Tests, Questions and Exercises (which can be used as ‘Past Papers/Questions’), and Recommended Answers for most of them.
- An Examination set for each of the 4 core courses; each Examination is sat under Invigilation/Supervision in your own area - full details, guidance and explanation of how your Examinations will be arranged and how Invigilation is conducted will be provided when you register. Note, CIC arranges Examinations in over a hundred countries worldwide for thousands of Members every year; it is a flexible, straightforward process and will be arranged when YOU are ready to write your Examination.
- A prestigious Cambridge International College Diploma on successful completion of Study & Training and on passing the Examination for EACH of the 4 core courses, PLUS the International Honours Group Diploma when all 4 courses have been completed - this is a total of 4 awards - 4 individual Diplomas plus the Honours Diploma.
- Your personal page on CIC’s Member Services website with access to results, despatch details, advice and guidance, and more: www.cambridgeinternationalcollege.co.uk
- Regular information and news including: Newsletters with details of special offers and new Programs and much more; and Competition Forms; by email and post.
- Everything needed for your Study & Training success is included in the CIC Fee.
- Further Study and Training Advice, and Assistance is available before, during and after CIC Study & Training; Members may ask CIC’s team of experienced Consultants for advice on further study and Programmes to improve career prospects and advancement.
- CIC’s experienced and helpful staff can assist with numerous special requests, such as reference/recommendation letters and transcripts, and more, by post and email.
- Business Administration EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Business Law Mastery of Management Graduate Diploma One year (flexible)
- Supervisory Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
- Management & Administration (EBA) EBA: Executive Business Administration 3 years (flexible)
- Human Resource & Personnel Management Diploma 12 months (flexible)
Understanding of health and safety issues in the, and how to assess, implement, monitor and control workplace safety as an integral part of management, supervision and organisation is probably the most influential factor affecting modern managers, HR and supervisory roles, and contemporary business activities. Focusing on these important features, as well as legal matters, and on how to become an excellent manager, this excellent programme provides the training, knowledge, understanding and competence sought by a huge range of organisations in the modern world - organisations which will value and remunerate such employees and personnel highly. Career advancement to senior and higher managerial positions, opportunities for promotion, opportunities for new career and wider, more rewarding posts are all possible with an Honours Group Diploma award.
The Programme also provides access to higher studies in many areas including management, administration, business, personnel/human resource, law, health & safety, organization and many other fields; higher study includes CIC’s Baccalaureate and Executive Business Administration programmes, graduate degree level studies, and other studies with CIC and other institutions worldwide.
There is a wide range of options for further study - see the "Related Courses" section for suggestions - which include Honours Diplomas, ABA & Baccalaureate Programmes, and the 'Double Award' EBA & BBA Bachelor degree Programme. You are welcome to ask the College for advice, and of course you can see details of these Programmes on this website.
Sign up to this course
Duration & Assessments
The standard Study Period is 21 to 24 months, but this is flexible; the course can be completed in a shorter period, or longer if required.
Four (4) Diplomas AND the Honours Diploma, proving you have demonstrated high levels of knowledge and work expertise in management, leadership, safety and law.